Cadbury Creme Egg Hot Cross Buns
Who enjoys eating a good old Hot Cross Bun at Easter? Toast under the grill and spread some butter on top, perfect! However, many people have said to me over the years; ‘I don’t like the raisins in Hot Cross Buns!’ To solve this; I’ve come up with an alternative. Everyone loves chocolate right? Why not make a chocolate Hot Cross Bun. Replace the raisins with tasty chocolate chips, make a chocolate bread dough, and make the cross out of white chocolate. Despite changing on those ingredients from a traditional Hot Cross Bun, I still felt it needed something extra! Something that would surprise you when you eat it! I love Cadburys Creme Eggs. So thought why not combine the two, by sneaking a mini Creme Egg into the centre of each Hot Cross Bun. Imagine seeing your friends face when they bite into it! What a great surprise! Have a go at my recipe and let me know your thoughts on it!
400g Strong White Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
300ml Whole Milk
7g Sachet fast-action dried yest
50g Caster Sugar
100g Milk Chocolate Chips
12 Mini Cadburys Creme Eggs
100g White Chocolate
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, milk chocolate chips, and yeast in a large bowl.
- Warm the milk in the microwave for 1 min.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Add 275ml of milk and the egg to the dry mixture. Combine into a soft dough is formed.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for 10minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a mixing dough, lightly spray with oil, and cover with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hour, or to its doubled in size.
- Once risen, on a floured surface knead the dough for another 5 minutes.
- Divide mixture into 12 balls. Place a mini Cadbury Creme Egg in the middle of each one, and place onto a baking tray.
- Spray them lightly with oil and cover with cling film. Leave them for another hour, or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- With the reminding milk, brush each bun using a pastry brush.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on a wired cooling rack.
- Once cooled, melt the white chocolate. With a pipping a bag, pipe a cross onto each hot cross bun.