150g egg whites (4 or 5 eggs)
200g caster sugar
10g cocoa powder
handful of milk chocolate chips to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 120c and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. With a hand whisk; mix the mixture until all the sugar has dissolved. Make sure the mixture is warm and not hot as you do not want to cook the eggs!
- Transfer the mixture into a stand mixer or use a hand whisk, and whisk on high setting for about 10 minutes until the meringue has thickened.
- Sift half the cocoa powder into the meringue and stir very gently. Add the other half, keep stirring gently until all combined.
- Spoon 8 big dollops of mixture onto the tray (4 on each), making sure there spread out from each other. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips over each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours, then turn off the oven and leave the meringues to go cold inside the oven. Best left over night to completely dry out!