Chocolate Salted Caramel Viennese Whirls
Who’s been watching the Great British Bakes Off this year? I love the program and each week I try to copy their challenges and create new challenges for myself. This recipe came from the biscuit week, week 2. They made Viennese Whirls for their technical challenge. I love Viennese Whirls!! Who doesn’t?! There a lovely biscuit with just melts in your mouth! However, most people have had the traditional Viennese Whirls; vanilla biscuit filled with vanilla buttercream and raspberry jam. I wanted mine to be different, something people haven’t tried before. I love experimenting in the kitchen with new flavours! I had a think of my two favourite flavours; I love chocolate and I love salted caramel and both go perfectly together!! These are differently a winner!!
Salted Caramel Sauce
200g granulated sugar
90g salted butter
1 teaspoon salt
120ml double cream
100g unsalted butter
200g icing sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
250g unsalted butter
50g icing sugar
200g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
- Begin with making the salted caramel sauce. Heat the sugar in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, stirring constantly. The sugar will form but clumps, but make sure you keep stirring. Eventually the mixture will turn thick brown like caramel.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until completely melted. Then add the cream stirring continuously.
- Put back on the heat and allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and leave to cool.
- To make the biscuits; heat the oven to 180 degrees. Beat the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy. Then add the plain flour, cornflour, and cocoa powder and beat well.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag with a medium star nozzle attached. On a greaseproof tray, pipe 24 whirls.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and leave them on baking tray for a few minutes to slightly harden before placing them on a cooling rack.
- While the biscuits are cooling, make the filling. Place the butter, icing sugar, and cocoa powder in a bowl and beat until light and smooth. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a medium star nozzle attached.
- Once the biscuits have cooled and harden you can then start to assemble them together. Spoon a little salted caramel sauce onto the flat side of 12 of the biscuits. The pipe the buttercream in a whirl shape on top of the salted caramel. Place the reminding biscuits on top, to sandwich it together and enjoy!