Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
175g digestive biscuits
2 tbsp caster sugar
400g full-fat soft cheese
125g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
grated zest and juice of 4 lemons
4 egg yolks
175g caster sugar
5 egg whites
250g caster sugar
- Make the cheesecake biscuit base; melt the butter over the hob on medium heat and put to the side to cool slightly. Crush the biscuits, then add the butter and sugar and mix well. Place mixture at the bottom of cake tin (about 9 in cake tin). Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 10minutes until just starting to turn brown.
- Now make the cheesecake filling. Put the soft cheese into a bowl and beat until smooth. Beat in the caster sugar, then the eggs and lemon juice. Mix well until smooth and creamy. Put the bowl to the side.
- Now make the lemon filling. Put the water into a pan and bring to a boil. While the water in heating up, mix the lemon zest and juice with the cornflour with a whisk making sure theres not lumps. Remove pan of water from heat and add the mixture to the water, stirring well. Return it back onto the heat and continuously stir until mixture thickens. Remove from the heat. Leave to cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks and sugar. Return the pan back onto the hob onto low heat and keep staring until the mixture is just simmering.
- Add the cheesecake filling and lemon filling into one bowl and lightly stir together till they just start combining with each other. Do not over mix! Pour the filling into the cake on top of the biscuit layer. Place back into the oven and bake for 45 – 50 mins, until mixture starts turning golden brown.
- To make the meringue topping; whisk the egg whites for 10 mins on maximum speed until they form a stiff peak. Then slowly whisk in 1 tbsp of sugar at a time. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 130 degree. Spoon the mixture on top of the cheesecake and bake for another 45 mins, until the meringue turns a golden brown colour.
- Chill the cheesecake over night and then remove from the tin. Cake best served from chilled!