Simple White Bread Loaf
500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp sugar
1 x 7g sachet dried yeast
1 tsp salt
325ml warm water
oil for greasing
- Put the flour and butter into a large bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture turns to fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, salt, and yeast, making sure they don’t touch each other in the bowl when adding them.
- Gradually add the water, mixing continuously with your hands to form a soft dough.
- On a well floured surface, knead the door well for 10minutes. The mixture will become smooth and elastic!
- Place the mixture back into the bowl and cover loosely with oiled clingfilm. Place the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour. The mixture should double in size!
- Grease a 1kg loaf tin with butter.
- Place the mixture back onto a well floured surface and knead again for 10minutes. Then place the mixture into the greased tin, cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 30minutes. The mixture should double in size.
- Preheat the over to 200 degrees/Gas 6. Take the clingfilm off the mixture and make 3 shallow incisions across the top to help the dough rise evenly when cooking.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until well rise and golden.