Strawberry Funfetti Traybake
2 x 20cm square baking trays lined with greaseproof paper
(if short of time, buy a pack of ready rolled sweet shortcrust pastry instead and start at number 7 on the method.)
265g plain flour
95g icing sugar
150g unsalted butter
1tsp vanilla extract
1 medium egg, beaten
150g Strawberry jam
175g icing sugar
1 – 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sour or normal sugar strands
- Place the flour and icing sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and rub mixture with your finger tips to create fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg. Stir in well.
- Tip the mixture onto a well floured surface and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Wrap the mixture into cling film and chill in your fridge for 30minutes.
- Cut the mixture in half, and roll out on a well floured surface 2x 20cm squares.
- Place each square onto each baking tray and place back in fridge for another 30minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Bake pastry for 12 – 15minutes, until the pastry is light golden brown and cooked. Leave to cool on a wired rack.
- Once cooled, spread jam onto one of the pastry layers and place the other layer on top.
- For the topping, mix the icing sugar and half of the water. If the consistency is too thick add a little more water. Make sure the icing is not too runny and not too thick. Too runny add more icing sugar.
- Once your happy with the consistency, spread on top of the pastry and sprinkle with the coloured sugar strands. Place in the fridge to allow the icing to set.
- Once set, cut into bite size pieces, or larger squares, triangles, or even use a cookie cutter and make them into what ever shape you like! Have fun!!